King Street Coastal Parkland Upgrade
Open to the public.
About the Project
The King Street Coastal Parkland, including public ablution was upgraded as part of the City's capital works in 2020. The upgrade has improved the overall appearance, accessibility and functionality of the popular parkland.
The design provides easy access to the beach and carpark, maintains open views to the bay and provides a limestone wall as coastal defences to protect the parkland from erosion. Community feedback was taken into consideration in the design phase.
Design features include:
- New modern, more practical public ablution block
- New BBQ, picnic tables and shelters including universal access
- Coastal re-vegetation renewal works and coastal sea wall
- A bike rack and bike repair station
- New outdoor beach shower
- New bin enclosures
- Aggregate pathways for improved connectivity
- Additional grassed areas
- A mobile food vendor / kiosk site
The King Street Coastal Parkland (Stage 1 works) is open to the public.
Carpark upgrade works are currently underway.
Photo: New universal access BBQ facilities with ablution block behind.
Photo: Mobile food kiosk will allow operators to sell goods to the public.
Image: The new parkland design. Stage 1 works complete.
Photo: Before the upgrades.