The City of Busselton is a participant in the ICLEI Water Campaign, a voluntary, water management, capacity building program for local governments which aims to assist local governments reduce water consumption and improve local water quality. This document is a sustainable water management strategy produced to meet the requirements of this program.
The City of Busselton's Water Team, with support and input from Geocatch and Department of Water staff, the Busselton Water Board and the City Environment Reference Group produced this Water Action Plan. The broader community was invited to submit its views on how the City could improve its water management via a questionnaire.
This document serves as an endorsement of a water management strategy that outlines how the City will achieve water conservation and water quality goals. It is a framework for putting together a set of effective and practical measures to manage, in a sustainable manner, the water resources used and influenced by the City.
A range of positive outcomes are expected from the implementation of the Water Action Plan including reduced operating costs, improved water quality, reduced water consumption, social and environmental benefits and leadership.
In accordance with the Water Campaign requirements for Milestone 3, this plan includes:
- An introduction to the context of water management on a national, state and local scale.
- A baseline profile of water consumption and water quality issues within the City of Busselton's organisation.
- A statement of water conservation and water quality goals set by the City.
- An outline of actions and policies that have been implemented since the base year.
- A list of proposed actions and policies to be implemented by the City.
- A commitment to monitor and review the local action plan in the future.
Following Council's request, this Water Action Plan focuses on the City of Busselton's own operations and facilities. By endorsing the corporate water management goals and action plan, the City fulfils the requirements of Corporate Milestones 2 and 3 of the Water CampaignTM.