Revitalising Geographe Waterways
REVITALISING GEOGRAPHE WATERWAYS
Revitalising Geographe Waterways is a State Government initiative to improve water quality, waterway health and management of Geographe Waterways. The program is delivered through partnerships and is overseen by the Vasse Taskforce.
The City of Busselton represents a key partner within the Vasse Taskforce and will work alongside the other partners including:
- Department of Water
- Shire of Capel
- Busselton Water
- Water Corporation
- Department of Parks and Wildlife
- Department of Agriculture and Food WA
- Department of Planning
- Department of Fisheries
- South West Catchment Council
- South West Development Commission
Over the next four years, projects and activities will focus on improving water quality across five key water assets – Geographe Bay catchment, Vasse-Wonnerup wetlands, Lower Vasse River, Toby Inlet and rural drainage networks.
Key outcomes for Revitalising Geographe Waterways:
- reduce nutrients from significant sources in the catchment
- implement a program to achieve water quality improvements through investigations and on-ground works
- build capacity and appoint a lead agency or body to manage each water asset
- develop a contemporary waterways management framework with clear objectives and management plans
- develop a long-term business investment framework sustaining initiatives into the future
- ensure community and industry participation and involvement
Revitalising Geographe Waterways is currently funded for four years through $7.15 million in Royalties for Regions funds. An additional $7.65 million is being contributed through partner organisations.
Key projects and initiatives delivered through Revitalising Geographe Waterways will cover a range of on-ground works and provide opportunities for community to be involved in determining how to manage the water assets into the future.
Key initiatives include:
- Geographe Bay catchment
- Vasse Wonnerup wetlands
- Lower Vasse River
- Toby Inlet
- Rural drainage networks
For more information on the Vasse Geographe Strategy check the Geocatch website here
WATER MANAGEMENT PLANS FOR THE LOWER VASSE RIVER AND TOBY INLET
As part of the Revitalising Geographe Waterways Program, the City of Busselton is tasked with preparing Water Management Plan for the Lower Vasse River and Toby Inlet, in consultation with key stakeholders and the local community. The management plan will identify long-term management actions for improving overall water quality of the two waterways.
The local community is being widely consulted through the development of the plans to engage the community in establishing management objectives and ensure community ownership of the final Plans.
What happens next?