Kerbside Recycling Service
A yellow-top bin recycling service is provided if a domestic rubbish collection service is provided.
Please contact the City of Busselton on 9781 0444 to arrange delivery of a free recycle bin and inclusion on the service run.
The Recycling Bin Service collects and recycles more than 3,000 tonnes of recyclable materials over a 12 month period.
Contamination of Recycling Bins is a Problem
These items are being found in the yellow top bins and ruin the recycling process, contaminating acceptable waste and making it unable to be recycled. Please do not place these things in the yellow top bin:
- household food waste - put it in the dark green wheelie bin
- electronic goods (eg TV and computer waste) - drop it off at either the Busselton Transfer Station or the Dunsborough Waste Facility for free so we can recycle it as E-waste
- fluorescent lights & long life light globes - drop them off at either the City of Busselton administration building on Southern Drive or at one of the Waste Facilities for free so we can recycle them responsibly
- needles and syringes - contact the waste department on 9781 0359 for a disposal unit for sharps
- rubber and leather - put them in your dark green general rubbish bin
- garden refuse and grass clippings - dispose of green waste at either of the Waste Facilities or bag it up and put it in your dark green wheelie bin
- mulch and leaves - dispose of green waste at either of the Waste Facilities or bag it up and put it in your dark green wheelie bin
- clothing and toys - if in good condition donate to charity, if not put it in the dark green wheelie bin
- timber - dispose of at the Dunsborough Waste Facility. Untreated timber which can be re-used can also be disposed of at the Busselton Transfer Station.
- crockery and ceramics - cannot be recycled - put it in the dark green wheelie bin
- broken plate glass - cannot be recycled - put it in the dark green wheelie bin
- nappies - landfill only - put them in the dark green wheelie bin
- batteries - alkaline batteries can be disposed of in the dark green wheelie bin, rechargeable batteries can be taken to the City Administration building or one of the Waste Facilities for free so we can recycle them
- oil, acid or chemicals of any kind - contact the waste department on 9781 0359 for information on disposal of chemicals, acid and oil.
Our kerbside recycling program now accepts all clean plastic containers and bags, including polystyrene, plastic bags and bread bags
(Some of the above items are accepted at the Waste Disposal Sites - refer to these sections for further information.)
For more information please contact the City of Busselton Waste Administration on (08) 9781 0359 or Perth Waste Green Recycling on 1800 260 033.
New Recycling Contractor for City of Busselton
Starting on Monday, June 26, 2017, the City of Busselton is starting a new arrangement to provide a fortnightly recycling collection service for all households and businesses with yellow-top recycling bins.
The new recycling contractor, Cleanaway, will continue to service each property on a fortnightly basis. However, the City is being divided into “Week 1” and “Week 2”.
Property owners are each being mailed with a personal letter advising them which week their recycling is scheduled. The letter includes a list of dates relevant to their property for 2017-18.
The day of the week for recycling collection will not change for any property.
Those properties with “Week 2” collection will have recycling collection in the week starting Monday, June 26, 2017 and every fortnight from then on.
Those properties with “Week 1” collection will have recycling collection in the week starting Monday, July 3, 2017 and every
fortnight from then on.
The items that belong in the yellow-top recycling bins will not change.
Yes: Newspapers; Magazines; Paper; Cardboard; Glass Bottles and Jars; Steel Containers; Aluminium Cans; Aerosol Cans; Drink Cartons; All disposable packaging (including plastic bags, polystyrene, paper coffee cups, etc).
No: Food; Clothing; Nappies; Electronic Waste; Green Waste; Large Waste Items.