Food Business

Thinking of starting or buying an existing food business? The City has created helpful steps below.

Where do I Start?

Before you consider commencing a food business you will need to determine whether it is permissible in your selected area.

Please refer to Local Planning Scheme No.21 for more information on zones within the City of Busselton. You can also contact the City of Busselton Planning Department on 08 9781 0444.

You may need to complete a Development Approval and/or a Building Approval.

Applications you need to consider:

Development Approval

Building Approval 

Health Requirements

Once you have Development/ Building Approval for your proposal the next step is to consider Health Requirements for the fit-out and operation of your food premises. The following documents provide guidance on appropriate fit-out for different operations.

Commercial Premises

Residential Premises

Mobile Food Businesses

Temporary Food Stalls

Community Groups

Lodge an Application

Complete and return an Application – Food Act 2008 Notification Registration Form.

Application – Food Act 2008 Notification Registration Form

When submitting your application ensure that you have addressed the following: 

Food Safe Training

All businesses, regardless of size or how often food is sold, must have the appropriate training & knowledge to provide  safe and suitable food. Our team can assist food businesses to meet these requirements by providing free access to training tool FoodSafe (use voucher code FSBUSSE314). 


Food labelling requirements are set in the Food Standards Code and includes a link to create a nutrition label. To help understand these requirements the City has created an Information Sheet on Labelling.


Markets and Events

Trading permits are not required for approved events and markets. Please contact the event/market organises directly. You must have a current Food Act 2008 certificate of registration.

Outdoor Eating Facilities

On successful application, City owned land located adjacent to food premises can be used to provide outdoor eating space for the customers of established food businesses. In considering applications the City will review:

  • Pedestrian safety
  • The position of the outdoor area and size in proportion to existing food businesses
  • The visual  aesthetic of furniture and structures

Outdoor Eating Facility Permit Application

Trading in Public Places

Three different trading permits can be obtained from the City:

1. Trading at approved fixed locations

Several fixed trading locations have been identified across the municipality (view the Complete Food Trader Site Locations here). Permits to trade in these fixed locations are issued by the City of Busselton via  an Expression of Interest (EOI) process which is held every 2 years. Any sites remaining vacant after the EOI process has been undertaken can be applied for by completing the Trading Permit Application.

2. Itinerant trade at varied locations

A permit can be applied for to sell to the public at varied private locations e.g. caravan parks and mobile coffee runs. To apply, submit an Application for Trading Permit Itinerant Varied Locations identifying all the property locations for trade, with written permission from each property owner.

3. Itinerant Trade

A permit to sell to the public by travelling from place to place e.g. ice cream van is granted by an Expression of Interest Process every 2 years. Application for Trading Permit - Itinerant Vendor.

Mobile Food Vendors Guidelines - Fixed Location

Mobile Food Vendor Guidelines – Itinerant

If you've encountered a problem with the website or have any general feedback, please provide comment via this form.

Was this page helpful?