Where to Start

Planning on developing your property? Start here:

What can I do in my area?

Every property has development controls relating to the zoning of the land.

The type of controls vary dependent on the zoning, but each zone has rules around:

  • Types of development / land uses;
  • The design and location of buildings;
  • Approvals required etc

Check your property zoning with our Online Mapping.

What approvals do I need?

Most development requires approval. There are different kinds of legislation requiring different approval processes.

Planning Approval

Development does not always require the construction of something new and can include changing how the land is used, changing the levels of a lot, or the removal of vegetation.

Applications for Development Approval (commonly referred to as DA’s) are assessed against State and local planning requirements and consider amenity and other impacts associated with development.

Some developments and land uses are exempt from requiring development approval.  Development can be exempt through the Planning and Development (Local Planning Schemes) Regulations 2015, the City of Busselton Local Planning Scheme No. 21 or a Local Planning Policy.

LPP 4.11 Exempt Development

Note:  a Building Permit may still be required even if Development Approval is exempt.

Building Approval

Building Permits are assessed against the Building Code of Australia and the Building Act 2011 for compliance with construction standards.

The Building Regulations 2012 contain exemptions for small projects and certain maintenance works.

Schedule 4 of the Building Regulations 2012 contains exemptions for small projects and certain maintenance works.

Environmental Health Approval   

Effluent disposal systems, food premises and some home businesses require approval under Environmental Health legislation. Further details can be found via our Public Health and Safety pages.

Getting Help

Planning and Building staff are available to assist with general enquiries. Detailed technical enquiries may require an appointment.

Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 4.30pm

2 Southern Drive, Busselton WA 6280


(08) 9781 0444

Requests for a formal written response, detailed property history check, or feedback on a project design can be made via email by completing the Request for Written Planning Advice.

Advice is given in good faith. It is not approval or an indication of a decision.

See our Development Type webpage for an overview of development requirements specific to your project.

Request Copies of Building Plans

Obtain a copy of plans for buildings already approved on-site by completing a Building Plan Search Request. Fees apply.

Learn more about the Commonwealth telecommunications rules

If you are a developer or owner-builder, there are important Commonwealth telecommunications rules you need to comply with. For more information visit www.infrastructure.gov.au/tind 

Related Information

Development Type

Online Mapping

If you've encountered a problem with the website or have any general feedback, please provide comment via this form.

Was this page helpful?

Get Audio Code