Swimming Pools 

Learn about the rules and requirements surrounding the installation, replacement or the removal of residential swimming pools and spas.  

I want to install or replace a pool

A Building Permit is required prior to installing a swimming pool and its associated barrier. When replacing a pool or barrier, please be aware that the rules may have changed since your pool was originally installed, meaning your existing barrier may no longer be compliant.

Swimming pools and its associated barrier require an Uncertified Building Permit Application. Go to How to Apply to find out more.

Please note that all pools must have a compliant barrier prior to being filled with water.

Need Help? 

Contact Building Services direct:

Monday to Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm


In person – 2 Southern Drive, Busselton WA 6280

Phone – 08 9781 1732

My pool is now installed

Once your swimming pool is completed and BEFORE you put any water in it you will need to notify the City.

Notice of Completion

Under the Building Act 2011, the builder must notify the City that the work is completed by submitting a BA7 Notice of Completion form.

Compliance Certificate

Swimming pools require a compliance certificate to be submitted with the BA7 Notice of Completion. If you would like the City to inspect and provide the certificate, please complete a Request for Pool Certification Service Form. Alternatively, engage with a private certifier.


In person – 2 Southern Drive, Busselton WA 6280

Phone – 08 9781 1732

What are the rules?

The rules for private pools can vary based upon when your pool was approved. Rule changes took place on 5 November 2001 and 1 May 2016.

Check your barrier regularly. Make sure all gates are self-closing and self-latching from all positions, and that no climbable objects are located within any non-climbable zones.

For more information, see the checklists and Rules for Pools booklet in ‘Related Information’ below.


Swimming pool barrier inspections are undertaken once a pool barrier is complete.  Re-inspection is required at least once every four years thereafter.

If you receive a notice that your pool is due for inspection, it is important to respond to the notice as City Officers are no longer allowed to inspect without your prior consent or an entry warrant.

Settlement inspections may be undertaken upon request. Current owner permission is required prior to settlement. If it is more than 12 months until the next inspection is due, a fee may apply. Please complete the form below and send to City@busselton.wa.gov.au

Related Information

Checklist for pools approved prior to 1 May 2016

Checklist for pools approved on or after 1 May 2016

Rules for Pools and Spas Booklet  

Request for Pool Inspection on Sale of Property Form

My pool has been removed

When a swimming pool is removed, the City requires written notification and evidence of removal.

Notify the City in writing to city@busselton.wa.gov.au and include:

  • the property address of where the pool was located;
  • approximately when it was removed, wherever possible, ‘before and after’ photos.

The City may choose to do an inspection.

Once the removal has been verified, the pool will be taken off the 4-yearly inspections list and the charge removed from future rates notices.

If you have a concrete pool that cannot be removed for structural reasons, it must be decommissioned to the point where it can no longer hold water.

Extra Information

Pool barrier inspections are undertaken every 4 years. The 4-yearly fee is divided by 4 and charged annually on Rates Notices. The 2024-25 annual fee is $78.00, as per s 53A.(3)(b) of the Building Regulations 2012.

 Penalties may apply for delays in achieving compliance or denying access for the purpose of inspection.

Definition of Common Terms

Swimming Pool or Pool

Refers to “any structure containing water to a depth greater than 300mm and used primarily for swimming, wading, paddling or the like” (as per Australian Standard 1926.1 - 2012). It includes above-ground, below-ground, inflatable and portable pools and spas but does not include a pool or spa that is emptied after each use.


What prevents a young child from accessing a pool. It is effectively the fence and gate/s but may also include retaining walls, windows, sides of buildings and anything else that separates a pool from the remainder of the yard or house.

Climbable Objects

Anything a young child can use to gain access to a pool area. This may include, but is not limited to, indents and protrusions greater than 10mm, trees, shrubs, furniture, barbecues, retaining walls, raised garden beds, pot plants, pumps, taps, pipework, lattice, pot plants, rocks, water features, ornaments, clotheslines, trampolines, toys, play equipment.

Non-climbable Zone (NCZ)

An area near a barrier that must be free of climbable objects

Young Child

Refers to a person aged between 0 and 5 years.

Useful Documents/ Links

Building Commission

Department of Education - VacSwim

The Royal Life Saving Society - Western Australia

Related Information

How to Apply

If you've encountered a problem with the website or have any general feedback, please provide comment via this form.

Was this page helpful?

Get Audio Code