Celebrating the break-ground of the new Busselton Performing Arts and Convention Centre

Published on Wednesday, 9 February 2022 at 10:17:11 AM

The City of Busselton and other key stakeholders gathered to celebrate the break-ground of the new Busselton Performing Arts and Convention Centre. 

City of Busselton Mayor, Grant Henley joined representatives from Broad Construction, Rio Tinto to applaud the commencement of construction for the project located on Queen Street in Busselton’s town centre.

Approved by the City of Busselton Council in November last year, the development will be welcomed by the local community with Broad Construction appointed last month for the $38million project.

Designed by highly-acclaimed WA Architects Kerry Hill, the new destination will comprise a 600 seat auditorium with retractable seats and separate function areas seating up to 400 people. It will be a multi-functional venue, catering all year round for music concerts of up to 1,000 people standing, orchestral shows, comedy, cabaret and dance performances, music recitals, business events - all catering for the greater Busselton community and tourism market. 

The Australian Government is contributing $10,350,000 towards the project under the Regional Growth Fund.

Federal Member for Forrest, Hon Nola Marino said “this project will provide local procurement and local job opportunities during the construction and on-going operations”.

City of Busselton Mayor Grant Henley was also delighted to see works get underway.

“This will be a place for the community to meet, connect, socialise and enjoy year round events, dancing at a concert, laughing at a comedy, taking the kids to a show or watching friends and family sing, dance and play.”

“We look forward to seeing this exciting addition to the South West region come to fruition.” he said.

Broad Construction General Manager Cyril Cahill said, “Broad is delighted to be commencing works on this iconic project for the city and community of Busselton”.

Rio Tinto Community Relations Advisor Meredith Dixon said, “Rio Tinto’s contribution will support the delivery of a new technology-focused education space. We look forward to working with the City of Busselton on this exciting development.”

The Centre is due for completion in 2023. 

Back to All News

If you've encountered a problem with the website or have any general feedback, please provide comment via this form.

Was this page helpful?